Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Fairytales

From time to time, I will invite others to share here at thegleanse. Meet my first guest blogger and writing accountability partner, Latoya Hagler: Mom, Poet, and Procrastinator. Look out for her book of poetry soon!


I can remember stories, those things my mother said
She told me fairy tales, before I went to bed
She spoke of happy endings, then tucked me in real tight
She turned my night light on, and kissed my face good night
My mind would fill with visions, of perfect paradise
She told me everything, she said he'd be so nice.....
-from the song, Fairytales by Anita Baker

I recently had a conversation, I dont even remember how it started, about the chances of someone getting married today staying married forever. I dont know the statistics but I think there is around a 50-60% chance of marriage ending in divorce. I began to question if forever is even the goal anymore. I have always wondered, when someone exchanges vows, do they really think this is the person that they will be with for the rest of their lives? Or did it just seem like the next logical step, or the best way to start a family. I should take a poll......

For someone who is fast approaching thirty who's relationships usually last about 3 to 4 months, I have maintained a suprisingly idealistic view when it comes to marriage. I have always believed in happily ever after and I am choosing to blame Julia Roberts and everyone like her. But as I get older I realize there is no perfect man, no perfect relationship. It seems like it just takes two people willing to make it work..... and about a million other things. I wouldn't really know so I just make educated guesses.

I guess to sum it all up, I dont know if I still believe in forever. That's a mightly long time. But I do believe in partnership, faithfulness, and yes, even love. So to all the the single men out there......just kidding. Well, I mean, you know where to find me.....again totally kidding. Unless you're serious. Until next time my little Gleaners!

 

*The views expressed in this post are not necessarily the views of the people at thegleanse.blogpost.com, essentially me. I still believe in forever. I can't afford the energy, emotions, or time for anything less*

No comments:

Post a Comment