Sunday, January 20, 2013

HELL, NAW!!



Not her, the one in the green, that's me

     Hello, my name is Alison S. Moore and I have a smart a** mouth (for an example see my blog post, Gratitude).  Some people may consider my brand of humor as rude, mean, insensitive or even condescending. But I say, I’m just being me.


     I get it honestly. Around Christmas time, I was in bed with my glasses on watching my brother in the hallway. He stopped and said, “Whatchu looking at? You sleep in your glasses so you can see what’s going on, don’t you?” My response- “No, actually I sleep in my glasses so I can see my dreams better.”  He walked off mumbling about how everybody in that house had a smart mouth.  He started it.


     I must admit, God has been convicting me lately about my smart mouth. One morning during my quiet time, I ran across Proverbs 2:10-11.  It states, “For wisdom will come into your heart and knowledge will be pleasant to your soul; discretion will watch over you, understanding will guard you.”


Doesn’t that word, discretion just pop out at you?   

When I looked it up the meaning convicted me even more-

1.       Ability or power to decide responsibly.

2.       Refined taste; tact.

3.       Unobtrusively perceptive and sympathetic.

4.       Heedful of potential consequences.




      Ouch! There were many more definitions that equally made me squirm in my seat. So, I decided to take action. 

      I asked one of my friends who also has a smart mouth if she wanted to join me on my quest to be discreet. Her response- Hell, naw!! The way we speak to each other would make you blush. Last week, she had on a pair of pants with a huge floral print. I said,”I can’t get with those pants.” Her response- “It don’t matter if you can get with these pants. You need to worry about your shirt being on backwards. Silence.

No comments:

Post a Comment