Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Visions of The Promised Land


            I'm building me a home. . .
 
            Have you ever seen the TLC reality show, The Little Chocolatiers? It’s about a family owned chocolate shop that specializes in magnificent creations out of chocolate- like mansions and small villages.  They execute their visions with precision resulting in realistic coloring and working gutters; all for a bunch of snotty-nosed kids to crush and slob all over it at a birthday party.

When you hear me shouting, I’m building me a home. . .

             Have you ever read the New Testament scripture in Hebrews 11 regarded as the Hall of Faith? It speaks about all the great men and women of the Bible who exercised great faith, trust, and loyalty to God which greatly pleased Him. Yet, all of them died in faith; not making it to the land God promised them. 

When you hear me praying, I’m building me a home

When you hear me moaning, I’m building me a home my Lord. . .

             Have you ever heard Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s speech, I’ve Been to the Mountaintop? In it he said, “Like anybody, I would like to live a long life. Longevity has its place. But I'm not concerned about that now. I just want to do God's will. And He's allowed me to go up to the mountain. And I've looked over. And I've seen the Promised Land. I may not get there with you. But I want you to know tonight, that we, as a people, will get to the promised land!”
             
This earthly house is gonna soon decay
And my soul gotta have, gotta have, gotta have
somewhere to say 


*Lyrics taken from, "I'm Building Me a Home" sung by Morehouse College Glee Club (1988)

No comments:

Post a Comment