Sunday, February 17, 2013

Somebodies


 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Skyscraping, paper chasing
What are we working for
Empty traditions, reaching social positions
Teaching ambition to support the family superstition
 
"The Mistery of Iniquity" Lauryn Hill


            

             Is it just me or does anyone else feel the need to have a full time job, two part time jobs, a business, a family, a position on the deacon/deaconess board, go to Crossfit seven days a week and volunteer at the local food bank just to be Somebody?

             I'm probably the only person who watched BET's first scripted series, Sombodies.  It is based off of an independent film by the same name exploring the lives of current college students, college dropouts, and college graduates all trying to find their place in the world.  I could relate. At that time, I had no idea of what I should be doing with my life. I did know I did not want to continue doing what I was already doing. I felt like I was wasting my degree- not to mention my parent's money.
 
             Growing up, I always had it together. I set goals for the next twenty years and devised a strategy on how to make it happen. I had an impressive professional network and good connections. I was somebody! But when I came home after college graduation, I was completely void of any motivation or direction. The type of career and lifestyle I thought I wanted no longer appealed to me.
 
             Meanwhile, the young adults around me were making major moves- getting advanced degrees, starting businesses, traveling abroad, and running for office. I felt guilty for getting ten hours of sleep when one of my close friends only got two. Suddenly, I felt like a nobody because every second of my day was not full of activity.

             But then I started asking myself and my busybody friends, "God may have called you to do all those things but did he say do them all at once?" The bible does say the work is plentiful but the laborers are few.  But it also says Jesus came to give us life and to give it abundantly. How can you enjoy the abundant life when you can't even enjoy a phone conversation with close friends?

             Filling every second of the day with activity doesn't make me somebody- God does.  It is nothing I can do to make myself more valuable other than accept Jesus Christ. This issue has been a struggle for me for sometime but now I know the key is finding a healthy balance. After all, the movie Lean on Me did teach me that "Everybody is Somebody."




 
 


3 comments:

  1. Thank you for this post! I do feel the pressure to be more/do more but I have to say no this year - I need time for me to be me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been there. I'm thankful for my life changing experience where God ministered to my mind, body, and soul. No longer do I feel the need to work a certain job, or put on aires. I'm living my best life now because I'm doing what I love and what God has predestined me to do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, this post started out as a rant but I had to take a look at myself and be really honest about my issues. I may put too much pressure on myself. Thanks Laura and Tish for sharing.

    ReplyDelete