Friday, April 5, 2013

Not a Death Sentence




















From time to time, I invite others to share their gleaning experiences her at thegleanse. Meet Jeralyn Powell, a kindred spirit and an awesome woman of God! She is "the truth" because the truth of God's Word dwells in her!
 

 
“I found God in myself and I loved her…I loved her fiercely.” Ntozake Shange
You know sometimes you hear something, but you aren’t really listening? The first time I heard this beautiful quote from Ntozake Shange’s “For Colored Girls Who Considered Suicide When the Rainbow is Enuf”, it was just another line in my script for me to memorize. But if I had to put a time frame on it, I was probably at the beginning of my depression.
            
Depression??? Me, a girl from a good background with very loving and supportive parents and extended family? Me, raised in the church not just out of tradition but out of true relationship? Me, with my “good hair” and “good head on her shoulders”? Me with (insert whatever other quality you think negates people from having mental health issues)? I know, SHOCKING right? Actually, it’s really not, according to the numbers. It is said that 1 in 10 adults suffer from depression. I’m not talking about a bad day, but an uncomfortable heart wrenching pain coupled with unexplainable behavior and uncontrollable emotional responses. A diagnosis didn’t come until 3 years later and even then it was hard to accept. I accepted it, dealt with the stigma and endured the pain. But thanks be to God for healing and restoring me!  

As I thought about what to write, Shange’s words came to mind. Because in the midst of my brokenness, God met me and I began to transform into the woman He designed uniquely in me. Then, I began to love her, fiercely. It is my desire that more women discover their true identity in Christ. In that vein, over a series of posts, I will offer pieces of my story as encouragement for someone who may be going through a similar (or not so similar) journey and the people who love them to understand their plight. I pray that my words be helpful, but that God will lead you to your own road for recovery and reconciliation.

2 comments:

  1. thank you for sharing this story and journey, it will be meaningful to many

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comment. That is my prayer

    ReplyDelete