Sunday, April 21, 2013

What A Man



My nephew-son is growing up. I refer to him that way because I feel like I've had a hand in raising him. See my nephew's father who is also my eldest brother died when he was just three months old.  

My nephew's mother, who has also become my big sister has done and is doing a fantastic job raising him. I assure you that if you were to meet my nephew you would agree whole-heartedly. Nevertheless, the old adage, "It takes a village to raise a child" proved to be true in this case considering all the support she has from his grandparents on both sides, aunts, uncles, and cousins.



About ten years ago, a young man entered my nephew's life through a romantic relationship with his mother. Even though that relationship didn't last, that young man is still in my nephew's life to this day. 
 
This young man was the first one at the house yesterday to see my nephew off to his senior prom. He helped my nephew pick out a tuxedo, he fussed over him, fixed his collar and straightened his tie as he got dressed. After giving my nephew some spending money, he had a long talk with him as they walked to the car. I wish I knew what they talked about. . .


God has provided WELL for my nephew. He hasn't lacked not ONE THING. Though no one can take the place of my brother as his father, thank you for being a father-figure to my nephew. You are truly my brother-in-law. I pity any man, woman, child, or evil spirit that may try to break this bond or tear this modern blended family apart.
 
This post is dedicated to all the good men out there raising another man's child for whatever reason. This also includes my other brother who takes care of his current wife's daughter as well as his ex-wife's daughter as his own.

Do you know of any men like the one's mentioned in this post? Give them a shout out in the comments section below. Let's encourage our men and let them know we appreciate them!!

1 comment:

  1. A wonderful story and photos were a great addition.

    ReplyDelete