Thursday, November 7, 2013

My Blogging Bucket List

 
#bloglikecrazy


 

WE SHALL BE STRONG, BE BRAVE, BE TRUE.
WE SHALL BE STRONG, BE BRAVE, BE TRUE
WE SHALL BE STRONG, WE SHALL BE BRAVE, TRUE.
Chautauqua of the African Methodist Episcopal (A.M.E.) Church's
Young People's Division (YPD)
 
 
Growing up, I had to learn the above saying as a YPDer at St. John A.M.E. Church in Birmingham AL. It has an accompanying hand-clap that we used to show honor to our distinguished leaders. Most of the time, I just use those words to help me stay on beat with the hand-clap without giving much thought to the meaning of the words. But these words came to mind as I was trying to formulate a blogging bucket list.
 
My blogging bucket list consists of one thing: to be brave. I need strength to be brave enough to share my truth on my blog without fearing the consequences. I don't want to worry about offending anyone, personal and/or professional backlash or disappointing myself by not  "keeping it 100." I want to take risks by saying the things that others are afraid to say, expose my insecurities, inconsistencies, and imperfections by sharing whatever is on my heart.
 
One of my favorite scriptures is 1 Corinthians 6:12-    
 
"Everything is permissible for me"--but not everything is beneficial. "Everything is permissible for me"--but I will not be mastered by anything.
 
Those words give me pause when I want to be strong, be brave, and be true. . . to myself. Hopefully one day I will find a beautiful balance between the two or exchange caution with reckless abandonment and go for what I know! It wouldn't hurt if some literary agent or publisher stumbles upon my blog, becomes so enthralled with my point of view and whisks me off into the literary sunset. I guess that would add a second item to my blogging bucket list.
 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment