Saturday, November 9, 2013

My Favorite App: My Fitness Pal

#bloglikecrazy 


myfitnesspal FUN FACT: A Methodist communion wafer has no calories but an Episcopal communion wafer has one.

Back in March, I received a call from my primary care physician. He was concerned about my creatinine levels because they had greatly increased since my last physical the year before. When he sent me to a Nephrologist, the Nephrologist told me the necessary things to do in order to preserve my kidneys.  Of course, the first step was to lose weight.

The doctor highly suggested I use an app called myfitnesspal to jumpstart my weight loss. I took his advice very seriously and became immensely immersed in it. Annoyingly, I would go around telling my co-workers and family members the calorie count of what they were eating. For twenty minutes, I would sit in the parking lot of food places planning my order.

One starts by setting up a profile inputting current weight, target weight, height, and activity level. The app uses your responses to formulate the number of calories you should eat each day. My favorite feature is after recording all your activity, water intake, and calorie intake for the day, it tells you, "If every day was like today you will lose x amount of pounds in x amount of days," or " You are not eating enough calories putting your body in danger of going into starvation mode."
 
I was able to be honest with myself and myfitnesspal that my activity level would be sedentary and it computed my calories accordingly. I lost about 11 pounds by my next doctor's appointment two months later. I have lost a total of 23 pounds since March. Of course like an obsession, it waned after I lost 20 pounds but it does not take away from the fact that this is an awesome app.
 
When I told my doctor how I lost the weight, he was so excited and exclaimed, "Yes! I love it when my patients do what I tell them to do."

3 comments:

  1. Good for you! I'm making a wish list of apps for when I get my iPhone for Christmas. Thanks for sharing. Elaine W.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i like this app as well. What about choosemyplate.gov? I use that as well

    ReplyDelete