Monday, February 17, 2014

Legions (inspired by the Jordan Davis trial)

 Jordan Davis, 17, was fatally shot after a spat over loud music being played in the parking lot of a Jacksonville gas station.
Mark 5:2-10(HCSB)2 As soon as He got out of the boat, a man with an unclean spirit came out of the tombs and met Him. He lived in the tombs. No one was able to restrain him anymore—even with chainsbecause he often had been bound with shackles and chains, but had snapped off the chains and smashed the shackles. No one was strong enough to subdue him. And always, night and day, he was crying out among the tombs and in the mountains and cutting himself with stones.When he saw Jesus from a distance, he ran and knelt down before Him. And he cried out with a loud voice, “What do You have to do with me,[a] Jesus, Son of the Most High God? I beg[b] You before God, don’t torment me!” For He had told him, “Come out of the man, you unclean spirit!”“What is your name?” He asked him.“My name is Legion,”[c] he answered Him, “because we are many.” 10 And he kept begging Him not to send them out of the region.

Oscar Grant III hugs Tatiana 2007
There are so many demons of injustice in this world. I’m sure you already know that, I don’t have to tell you that. I am agitated that it is necessary for me to write yet another blog post about racial disparities in the American justice system. In the 15 months that I have been blogging, I’m sure I’ve written about this issue in some shape or form at least 5 times.
It seems like it is open season on all young black men and mothers are afraid for their sons' lives. When I thought about writing this post, I couldn’t decide on a title. So many appropriate ones, which escape me now, came to mind. While contemplating all of the possibilities, the above quoted scripture also came to mind.  It was kind of ironic.
I considered a parody of SaturdayNight Live’s Black History Month’s skit, “28 Reasons to Hug a Black Man Today.” (I still may do that one, so keep an eye out.) The first reason SNL gave was- because he deserves it and reasons 2-28 were all slavery. But we don’t even have to go all the way back to slavery, we can just read yesterday’s headlines: Guilty, but not of murder.
I don’t know how anyone can deny the disparities of how the stand your ground law is applied in the state of Florida. US Airman Michael Giles and mother Marissa Alexander felt their lives were in danger and shot one time to defend themselves. No one died in either case but they are serving a minimum of 20 years for standing their ground. Two grown men, George Zimmerman and Michael Dunn shot unarmed young black boys several times and killed them because they felt threatened but neither of them have been convicted of 1st degree murder.

There is a broader problem here- absolute disregard for human life. These shooters don’t seem to care that these boys are someone’s child, grandchild, friend, and even parent. Someone at home depends on them, loves them, deserves them, and belongs to them. And you sir, do not have the right or the authority to take that away.
Who does? Refer to the above mentioned scripture.

No comments:

Post a Comment