Thursday, February 6, 2014

Throwback Thursday!!

Over the last few days, I've been thinking a lot about the old "not so good days." So it was a welcome distraction to run across fellow Jane, Angela Scott Moore's blog post about fond memories. I was immediately inspired to write my own!

Author C.S. Lewis gave a warning in his classic book, "The Screwtape Letters" against spending too much time ruminating and/or romanticizing the past or being pessimistic or fanciful about the future. Instead, we should live and appreciate the present.  I agree with him but it's also heartwarming to take a brief look back on the carefree days of my youth when the hardest decision I had to make was whether or not to shave my hair off in the back, Halle Berry-style.

Here is my throwbacks:
 
  • Eating things I'll never eat now- sandwich spread, Thousand Island, burnt bologna sandwiches, hot links, and hot dogs.
  • Trips to "the country" or Sawyerville after church in the summer.
  • The usher room, ladies lounge, library and Annie Joe's theatre at St. John A.M.E. Church.
  • Saving my lunch money to buy CD's at Turtles.
  • 95.7 Jamz Flava Unit service projects.
  • Catching fireflies and using the glowy parts for earrings.
  • Daniel Cason's 20 minute teen choir rehearsals once a week and we were 'fie' Sunday morning with Brian Hamilton as our hype man. 
  • Spending the night with my Aunt Jean and Cousin Erica.
  • Playing monopoly with my brothers and pick up sticks with colored toothpicks at Mudear's house with my cousins.
  • Parker High and J.O. High School rival football games.
  • Going to Quincy's or Po Folks with my family after church.
  • Watching Nick at Nite's real old school shows like Patty Duke, Sugar and Spice, and That Girl.
  • Going to City Stage with my parents then meeting up with friends at the fountain in Linn Park. The funnel cakes, fried potato chip rings, gyros, and fresh squeezed lemonade.
  • The Magic City Classic parade, half time show, and my birthday party afterwards in my parent's basement.
  • High School fraternity and sorority step shows.
  • Soundtracks with songs that were actually in the movie instead of "inspired by," i.e. Above the Rim and Menace II Society.
  • Taping up a used cassette tape with your old favorite song on it, then waiting for your new favorite song to come on the radio so you can record the new song over it.
  • Spaghetti Wednesdays before bible study.
  • Baggy clothes, body suits, dashikis, tennis skirts, Timberlands, and Bass shoes.
  • The gospel song at the end of R&B girl group albums.
  • Rap City, Teen Summit, Video Soul with Donnie Simpson
  • Vacation Bible School trips to Point Mallard and Six Flags
  • A.H. Parker High School Class Days
  • The debate team
  • Selling Coke at the 1996 Summer Olympics soccer games and then later that night in my sleep.
  • The Christmas frenzy at Just for Feet and The Galleria.
  • Western Hills Mall before it became the "ghetto mall", Century Plaza before it became the "ghetto mall".

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the trip down memory lane! Turtles! Just for Feet! Po Folks! Nick at Nite! and CITY STAGES which was the best thing in the history of Birmingham. Don't be hating on a fried bologna sandwich, though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura, I ate too many of them as a child. I even burned my face making one. I wasn't allowed to use the stove but my brother Corey was taking too long to make me one.

    ReplyDelete