Sunday, February 28, 2016

Love is... Not Self-Seeking

 
It is amazing how God can teach two people a different lesson from the same situation.
 
 
During this time, Coretta and I were both dealing with the anniversary of tragedies in our lives; we were both sensitive and on edge.
 
I didn't think it was anything wrong with the question I asked her; it was completely logical in that circumstance. I was baffled as to how it could be offensive. That was definitely not my intention and I did apologize.
 
I have asked myself many times over the years who gets the "act out" or "easily offended" pass in this kind of situation. We both had absolutely good reasons to use it.



I finally got my answer. God used the same scripture He used to teach Coretta a lesson to teach me a lesson. No one should feel entitled to the "act out pass," especially amongst friends. Why? Because love is not self-seeking.
 
According to the online free dictionary, self-seeking is defined as having or showing an exclusive preoccupation with one's own profit or interest. It can't get any more clearer than that.
 
When I read Coretta's devotional, I was like, look at God! At the same time God was teaching her that love is not easily angered, he was teaching me that love is not self-seeking.

So, the next time you feel like you have "the right" to act up in a particular situation, ask yourself if you are being preoccupied with your own interest and know you can choose to act in love instead.
 
Wow. Mind-blowing

No comments:

Post a Comment