Wednesday, February 11, 2015

In Love and Admiration

You are one of the strongest women I know. It amazes me how organized and efficient you are. I remember you working all day, cooking dinner, cleaning the house, preparing for the next day and still having time to relax and watch The Cosby Show, A Different World then New York Undercover.
 
My father adores you. He has told me on many occasions that you are one classy, dignified, and loyal lady. You should have seen him at your bedside, day and night, during your long hospital stay. He brought you roses and got all dressed up to brighten your day. He held your hand while you were hooked up to all of those tubes. It was sickening when you had me sending selfies back and forth- you in your hospital bed and him at dialysis.

As the Bible states in Proverbs 31, "Who can find a virtuous woman? for her price is far above rubies. The heart of her husband doth safely trust in her, so that he shall have no need of spoil. She will do him good and not evil all the days of her life." . . ."Her husband is known in the gates, when he sitteth among the elders of the land. . . "Her children arise up, and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praiseth her." You all have been through things that would destroy a family but you all have grown stronger and closer through the fight.

I remember the silky caftans you used to wear around the house and the Black History school projects you used to do for us. Yes, you have a quick tongue, sarcastic humor and a wealth of good comeback lines. You are the only one I know who can work gustabo in everyday conversation and have family members question their intelligence because you keep beating them in "Words with Friends." Thank you for spelling my name with one "L." 

You keep your stash of M&Ms in your nightstand, out of my father's sight. The cold candy war you have with him is hilarious. He bought different kinds of candy and placed them in pretty clear containers on the entertainment center in your bedroom to tempt you- your favorites like lemon drops and orange slices. Visitors be warned, do not touch this candy because my dad has glued them together  to tease my mother.
 
I'm glad to have parents that still like each other after over 40 years! I love you, Liz and Jimmie.

 
 
Alison

No comments:

Post a Comment