Thursday, September 10, 2015

"Living by Design, not Default"

Gleaning: Books 

My view

 
The Top Five Regrets of the Dying by Bronnie Ware
 


 
Confession: I have a general dislike for people who boast about how many activities they are involved in and how busy and tired they are like its some kind of virtue in that. Do I sound kinda bitter? I am. They make me feel like its something wrong with me that I am not doing something every second of my day.
 
That used to be me. When I was in high school, I was president of my church's youth group, senior class president which included planning the prom and Class Day, in a community service group through my local hip-hop station and active in social justice community youth groups. Why? Because I wanted to look good on my college and scholarship applications. I wanted my accomplishments annouced in church from the pulpit. I wanted people to admire and respect me.
 
Eventually, I crashed and I have been on a permanent break ever since.
 
According to Bronnie Ware, the top five regrets of the dying are:
 
I wish-
1.)  I had the courage to live true to myself and not live the life others expected of me
2.) I hadn't worked so hard
3.) I'd had the courage to express my feelings
4.) I had stayed in touch with my friends
5.) I had let myself be happier
 
Pastor Chris Hodges' recent message on stress made this more clear for me. He said we must start to live by design and not by default; not just living off of what's left after you have done everything everyone else wants you to do. He suggested we get the clutter out of our lives and do only those things that are a part of our purpose.
 
I have decided my priorities are God, my family, my friends and writing. Everything I commit to doing, should center around one or more of these things. Right now, I don't think I'm in danger of working too hard AT ALL. I feel pressure to step it up in that area. But, I am an introvert and I require a long period of time to recover from being "on" for just a few hours.
 
I may express my feelings a little too much. One thing I learned from my brother's death is that life is too short to hold things in, so I do my best to make sure I am heard and let other people be heard as well.
 
I pride myself on not caring what other people think of me but in reality, I do. I just spend a lot of time beating myself up about, "why am I not more like. . ."
 
As of today, what do you regret? If you aren't scared, share them in the comments, here or on Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment