Wednesday, November 4, 2015

The Magic of Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs)

#BlogLikeCrazy



Another Classic has gone down for the history books.




For 74 years, Alabama State University (Montgomery, AL) and Alabama A&M University (Huntsville, AL) football teams and bands have battled it out for bragging rights. The game- played in Birmingham, Alabama is usually the last weekend in October and arguably the best Historically Black College/University (HBCU) football classic in the country.



The Magic City Classic has always been a part of my life. Growing up, I loved and looked forward to The Classic but as an adult, I’m over it. I’m over the traffic, crowds and inflated prices to do the same thing I could’ve done the previous weekend for a quarter of the price to see the same people from the year before. I’m too old for this ish. But my sister-in-law brought something to my attention-  this type of event isn’t regular for other folks. 



She helped me see The Magic City Classic with fresh eyes. She was so excited to see a collective of African Americans celebrating our heritage; coming together as a family around our shared experiences. She was ecstatic for her children to see Birmingham’s African American mayor, judges, doctors, nationally-known entertainers, HBCU students  and alumni in The Magic City Classic Parade.


She was so full of pride as she explained to her sons and daughter that they could be an engineer or policewoman like the ones we saw around us as we sat on the sidewalk across from City Hall and next to the Greyhound bus station where Rep. John Lewis and other Freedom Riders were bombed for exercising their rightsto ride. It was a beautiful thing.

I caught her excitement and felt bad for taking it for granted. . .until we got stuck in traffic again.

No comments:

Post a Comment