Wednesday, February 24, 2016

The Lying Game

 
 
 
 

 A WRITERS READ REVIEW

 

 
I read The Lying Game by Sara Shepard as part of my reading challenge last year as a book turned into a T.V. show. I loved the show on ABC Family but to my disappointment, it only lasted for two seasons. I love many shows on ABC Family, now known as FREEFORM, like The Fosters and Switched at Birth. Don't judge me, I could still be considered to be in the demographic for young adult (YA) novels.
So, I should have loved the book, right?
The book had an intriguing and engaging story; sort of like a mystery/thriller. The goal was to figure out who killed the narrator who had just discovered she had a twin sister in foster care.
The show was set up quite differently from the book. I can't decide which version I liked better. Yes I can, the T.V. show. First of all the book was badly written which was baffling to me because this author has had more than one of her YA novels turned into TV shows.

 
 
The book was hard to read. It was narrated by the twin that was eventually murdered but sometimes the newly discovered twin would jump in the driver’s seat making the book painful to read. I was often confused of who was talking, when.
I didn't give up on the book because I wanted to know how the T.V. series differed from the book and most importantly, who killed the narrator. Unfortunately, I would have had to read 5 more books to find that out and I wasn't going to put myself through that, so I just looked it up on Wikipedia. I can tell you, I did not think that person was the killer.
I can’t say I gleaned any life lessons from this book but it did cause me to look at my work more critically as a writer. You should pick it up if you are looking for an intriguing, entertaining story but not too picky on writing technique.

No comments:

Post a Comment